The Java Development Team Lead will be reporting directly to the Director Product Engineering and will provide leadership and direction to the Development team, while ensuring on-time, on-cost & quality delivery.
This role will be responsible for the management of the delivery of all software components with an overriding commitment to the highest standards of quality in all areas of design and development, reducing the rework & improving consistency, quality and speed of delivery.
The Team Lead will work close with Business Analyst, Solution Architecture, Quality Assurance and Test teams and the Project Managers, Client Services and Clients to ensure that solution design, unit test plans and released code meet with client expectations in terms of quality, timing and cost.
• Responsible for delivering software that aligns to AIMIA products, deliverables and solutions on time and within budget, managing actuals versus estimates and ensuring development best practices including design, documentation, coding, unit testing and peer review.
• Instill an “On Time, and Right the First Time” culture within the Development team.
• Work with Business Analysts and Solution Architects to provide appropriate estimates for efforts that include time to understand requirements and the proposed solution, carry out necessary design work, design and build unit tests, write code, carry out peer reviews and subsequently test code.
• Work closely with the Project Management team to ensure appropriate resources are available to deliver against project deadlines and to pragmatically manage resource conflicts.
• Foster a culture of ownership and accountability across the team for the solutions developed.
• Make sure that the Development team take pride in their work and fully understand the business benefits of their efforts.
• Ensure a consistent approach to Development that ensures maintainability of all code going forwards.
• Mentor Development team and assure that individuals are being challenged and supported at the same time.
• Manage the peer review process.
• Lead Development team, ensuring resource levels, skills and quality are maintained to appropriate levels at all times.
• Provide forward thinking in terms of exploiting new tools that will improve the delivery capability of the Development team.
• 5+ years commercial software development experience.
• 3+ year’s experience leading development teams of about 10 team members.
• A Bachelors and/or Masters degree in Computer Science or similar discipline.
• Experience in both frontend and backend technologies preferably Java.
• Experience of high volume, highly transactional systems
• Solid working knowledge and experience of applying OO principles
• Ability to code software according to published standards and design guidelines.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Analysis and design experience advantageous.
• Experience in test driven development
• Experience integrating with 3rd party API’s, e.g. in the social media space and beyond.
• Background working with databases such as MySQL and ideally MongoDB.
• Solid background of the SDLC, from building, testing, quality enforcement to release (e.g. Maven, JUnit, Cucumber, Sonar, Clover, DBDeloy etc.)
• Proficient in DevOps/Continuous Delivery and related tools (Puppet, Chef, etc.)
• Good understanding of continuous integration, code coverage tools, source control management tools. For example: JIRA, BitBucket, Bamboo, Jenkins, Artifactory, Crucible, etc.
• Ideally experience of developing cloud based solutions (e.g. AWS/Amazon EC2, RightScale, OpenStack etc), with good knowledge around web/application servers (e.g. Nginx, Apache, JBoss)
Apply for this Job
Apply for this job by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with "Minneapolis, MN, USA: Java Development Team Lead" in the subject line.