LOYALTY FOR GOOD
The simplest and most powerful way to fulfill our social purpose is by leveraging what Aimia does best. In practical terms, this means using the power of our people, products and partnerships to drive positive change. This is the fundamental concept behind Loyalty for Good.
HELPING CLIENTS CREATE A BETTER WORLD
The loyalty business has traditionally been about rewarding desired behaviours in the marketplace. But what about promoting health and clean air, helping to reduce hunger, and protecting society’s most vulnerable members? These are just some of the behaviours that savvy businesses, NGOs and public organizations wish to promote — using loyalty as a gentle nudge toward doing the right thing.
Loyalty for Good makes it easy and rewarding for people to take action for the common good. It’s an innovative idea based on the well documented gap between people’s intentions (“I want to do the right thing…”) and actions (“…maybe tomorrow”). Loyalty can help close this gap by “nudging” consumers toward more sustainable behaviors and habits. These nudges can range from rewards for certain actions to opportunities to donate loyalty currency to a good cause.
Our hypothesis is that aligning people’s brand loyalty with their desire to do good can:
- Lead to new insights for building more meaningful relationships, especially with the millennial generation
- Have a positive impact on the world and get more like-minded partners to join in
- Bring to light innovative solutions to sustainability challenges, inspire people and lead to the adoption of more sustainable habits
USING THE POWER OF LOYALTY TO CREATE SOCIAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL VALUE
Loyalty for Good Pilot Projects – A Few Examples
- In Canada, the generosity of our Aeroplan members, who donated over 700 million miles through the Aeroplan donations program has made a huge difference for charities. More than 300 organizations are part of the program including the following core Aeroplan philanthropic partners: David Suzuki Foundation, Doctors Without Borders, Engineers Without Borders, Stephen Lewis, Foundation, MusiCounts, Veterinarians Without Borders, Air Canada Foundation and War Child Canada. Those organizations use Aeroplan Miles for flights, car rentals and hotel stays, for raffles and auctions to raise money as well as merchandise such as laptops. In addition, Aimia offsets 100 percent of all carbon emissions for flights taken by its core Aeroplan philanthropic partners.
- Aeroplan has a multi-year agreement with Carrot Rewards, a free wellness mobile app that rewards Canadians with Aeroplan Miles as it offers simple guidance towards healthier lifestyle choices.
- Aeroplan’s Green It Up is a voluntary carbon offset program to offset a flight or everyday activities. Aeroplan Members can either use their miles to offset when completing a flight reward booking online or redeem their miles for carbon offset credits through Aeroplan’s online Activities and Merchandise catalogue.
- In the United Kingdom, Aimia has conducted a number of Loyalty for Good programs while it was the owner of Nectar. For example, the Nectar Tag Your Bag program in collaboration with Oxfam where participants received two Nectar points for every £1 raised from their donation at an Oxfam thrift store.